Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I Spy" Bags & Other Travel Gear


I've gotten a little "project" oriented these past few weeks.  We're gearing up for a trip in May to see the Illinois side of the family.  I've been researching ways to keep the kids entertained during the long drive (yes, I said DRIVE!) to and from Illinois.  So far, I'm hoping that some of my ideas will not go to waste.  Twenty hours driving one way just watching movies could get to be a bore.



Anyway, I've created lap trays out of old cookie sheets for the kids to play with magnets on.  The trays were coated with white board paint (so when they're older, we can all get high from sniffing dry erase markers).  No, really, the white surface means we can have a smooth area for coloring pages or laminated race tracks.   Kelsey's really excited to use her magnetic paper doll set! 
 


My second project was a set of "I Spy" bags (pocket-sized).  It took forever to find a pattern for these 5.5" square bags.  They only have 24-25 toys in each but it was fun making them.  John was really excited to help fill the bags with the beads.  Kelsey's excited to find the stuff inside.  And Bekah hasn't gotten up from her nap to see the bags.  Ah well.  Email me if you want the directions for making these things.  They sell on the market for $20 and I made three for less than that!
We'll see if they work in the doctor's office today and that should say whether or not the kids are interested.  At least we've got a few months to hide away the travel stuff so they can all be excited about the "new" stuff when I get it out for the trip!  And I have one less stress to think about.  I've done my part.

1 comment:

Keith, Johanna, et al. said...

I think they look fun. You did a great job! Love, Aunt Johanna